Top 10 Red Lipsticks For Black Women
If you are a black woman, it can be difficult finding the colours of lipstick that suit you. Whether you have dark skin, medium or light skin, I have created the Ultimate List of Red Lipsticks for black women because being a black girl, I know it can be tough sifting through shades that can sometimes be chalky and weird. Please enjoy this list and tell me what you think about it. You can follow me on Instagram (@hayaglamazon) to give me feedback, contact me here or just leave a comment. Where applicable, I will post both US & UK prices to give you an idea of the pricing, if not, I will post US prices and of course, I will be posting my honest commentary. The lipsticks are in no particular order.
Fall in love with vibrant red lipsticks below that are amazing for black women
- Fenty Beauty Lip Paint in Stunna – $24 in the US – My general view is that Stunna is a solid red lipstick in a liquid format that suits black women whose lips are not cracking. The liquid formula is something to be careful about. I like this for dates with your boyfriend/husband and nights out. Expensive.
- MAC Retro Matte Lipstick in Ruby Woo – $18.50 in US, £17.50 in the UK – One reason why Ruby Woo is so popular is because it has that classic red tone that black girls of darker skin tones can wear but it also looks good on light skinned black women. MAC Lipsticks are richly pigmented and RW is no exception.
- MAC Retro Matte Lipstick in Dangerous – $18.50 in the US – This lipstick colour is very vibrant and vivid. Definitely not for wallflowers – make sure your lips have been scrubbed because the matte texture means the lipstick will sink in the lines of your lips. I like Dangerous for the weekend.
- Keyshia Ka’Oir Lipstick in Red Roses – $15.99 in US – Classic red lipstick colour from the brand owned by Gucci Mane’s wife, Keyshia Ka’Oir. Price is also fair compared to other luxury brands. The noise for the brand has quietened over the years but I think it’s a good choice if you are on a budget.
- Coloured Raine Matte Liquid Lipstick – $17 in the US – One thing many reviews say about this liquid lipstick from Coloured Raine is that it lasts for a long time. That is a good thing because the packaging of the product leaves a lot to be desired. I don’t know, it just looks kind of flimsy and cheap – they should give the packaging an upgrade as I am sure this affects sales. Price is standard.
- Dose of Colors Lipstick in Merlot – $18.00 in the US – Good reviews for this liquid lipstick and it suits dark skinned women well. However, Dose of Colors website is weird, and the pictures aren’t as appetizing as the results. They also impose a 2 product purchase limit per colour which seems a bit over the top.
- Beauty Bakerie Lip Whip in Cranberry Stiletto – $20 in the US – This lipstick is also in liquid format, the colour is said to be intense. This shade looks much darker than the picture implies, so if you like those darker colours, it could be the one. Still expensive though if you consider other independent brands.
- Beauty Bakerie Lip Whip in Mon Chéri – same link as above – I really like this colour more because it is a brighter shade of red. It reminds me of a traffic colour red, just in your face and out there. I see it working for nights out.
- IGXO Lipstick in Savage – $14.50 – I like this lipstick because it is affordable and cheap. I’ve covered it before, so if you want more details click here to read. You can purchase it here.
- MAC Retro Lip Colour in Feels So Grand – $21 in the US – Not sure but this name of this liquid lipstick makes me laugh LOL. Something about the name sounds so corny but the colour itself pops beautifully against dark skin.
My thoughts on the Top 10 Red Lipsticks for Black Women
In the past few years, there has started to be a lot of variety when it comes to red lipsticks for black women and lipstick shades for dark skin in general. As someone who has worked in the beauty industry, I know it did not begin with Rihanna. She’s started off really well with Fenty Beauty but there are many brands that have been creating vivid shades for black women for a long time now including Beauty Bakerie, Coloured Raine and MAC. The latter of which has found a unique way to promote itself to black women even though it is owned by Estee Lauder.
I love all of these choices because I think they do look good on black women and I like seeing the variety in pricing. Fenty Beauty is the most expensive one but Rihanna has ensured that the Lip Paints have a lot of vibrancy which is really important for black women. I think MAC is the most consistent brand if you are a black woman and you want different lipstick textures in colours that won’t make you look like a piece of chalk.
My personal favourites from this list is MAC’s Ruby Woo and Beauty Bakerie’s Mon Cheri. I love the commitment that all beauty brands are starting to show for black women and I can’t wait to see what else they come up with.
Top tip: For supple red lips, you have to start at the base. If your lips are flaking and cracking that is also a sign that your diet isn’t doing too well. If you smoke cigarettes or do drugs, stop that because it will hurt the texture and health of your lips. Even if you don’t smoke, don’t eat foods that will make your skin break out and affect the health of your lips. You can use lip scrubs to make your lips soft before applying red lipstick. If you want to explore more in terms of buying red lipsticks, click here for affordable options. Don’t forget to check out my Ultimate Guide to Buying Red Lipstick as well.